How to create shareable stories with social “oomph”!
Trainer: Dan Mason
Cost: £25 to members of any union in Wales or £50
What will I need to bring?
All participants will need to bring a laptop and are encouraged to bring along their smartphones and tablets (please remember to bring cables, earbuds and chargers). We also encourage you to use the Chrome browser during the workshop, and should download it (free) prior to the workshop. Gmail and Facebook accounts will be important – remember to bring passwords!
What’s it about?
The growth of smartphones and social media are turning concepts of news upside-down. Increasingly, creating stories that will be shared on social media and easy to access on mobile devices are the key to driving traffic to news websites and blogs.
This one-day workshop helps journalists understand how to approach multimedia stories that shout ‘share me!’ on social media. It’s a day of hands-on learning that will see participants creating stories using free browser-based tools.
Who’s it for?
Journalists and communicators with an interest in developing their storytelling social media skills, and keen to explore new story forms.
What will I learn?
- How to use the power of the ‘curiosity gap’ to create headlines and stories that attract clicks and encourage sharing on social media
- Produce stories that are fast to create and compelling to read for an audience looking for news and information on computer, smartphone or tablet. Topics include creating …
- Q&As, quizzes and other text-based story forms
- Simple graphics and charts
- Interactive images, galleries and panoramas
- Record and share live audio and video on your smartphone
- Leave equipped with a toolbox of online tools to create your own shareable content.
Cancellation policy and redundancy
We have a cancellation policy of two weeks (10 working days) before the start of a course for this programme. Those paying a subsidised rate for the course cannot be refunded if you cancel in this period.
NUJ members who have been made redundant within the last 6 months can attend two training days for free. To qualify, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org with your membership number.