Do you need mentoring or coaching?
Some of the participants who have successfully completed the programme over the past 4 years are offering coaching and mentoring sessions free of charge.
If you are interested please contact Anna Wynn Roberts at: firstname.lastname@example.org
NUJ Training Wales, with funding from the Welsh Government, is delivering a training programme in Mentoring and Coaching, endorsed by the Institute of Leadership and Management.
2-days’ training + practical assignment
Trainer: Pam Henerberry
- Research carried out by the Institute of Leadership & Management has demonstrated that enhancing your coaching and mentoring skills helps to make you a better leader and a more effective manager
- Line managers and mentors are generally not equipped to coach and mentor; they lack the knowledge, the skills, the self-confidence and the experience
Who should apply:
- Media employees who have a mentoring role or who lead small or large teams (of staff and/or freelances) within their organisation
- Media workers who are expected to nurture and train new staff or manage freelances
- Team leaders who are guiding their teams through change (e.g. adapting to working with reduced staffing due to cuts, leading teams across merged departments, working in an environment where cuts are going to take place etc..)
- Media employees who’d like to progress up the organisational ladder or who would like to pursue such training as part of their CPD
- Employees or freelances who have received some training in leadership and management but not in mentoring and coaching
- Freelances looking to enter or re-enter employment and who wish to expand their skills base
- Freelances who want to mentor and nurture other freelances, passing on their experience (this can include younger, social media or technology-savvy media workers who can help and nurture older workers along the learning curve).
- NUJ branch members who can mentor new, often younger members who sometimes come to meetings asking for help and support.
How does the programme work?
The training will consist of two training days about two weeks apart.
After training day 1 will be set a short practice exercise to help you prepare for day 2 and the assignment.
After the second training day you will carry out six hours of mentoring and coaching (usually 4 x 1.5 hour 1-to-1 sessions) for which you will keep a reflective log over a 4-week period.
This work will be submitted to the ILM for assessment and a certificate will be awarded to all those you have reached the required standard.
The cost of a place on the programme is highly subsidised:
NUJ members living and/or working in Wales: £50
Other union members living and/or working in Wales : £95
Non members: £195
(Usual costs for this type of ILM endorsed course start at £475 per person)
The programme will be highly participative and will allow each delegate to practice the skills needed to be an effective mentor and coach.
- Welcome and introductions
- Purpose of the programme
- Differences between coaching and mentoring
- Qualities and skills needed for each
- Practice the core skills
- Model on Push/Pull
- Exercise on this model set for ‘homework’
- Roles and responsibilities
- Managing expectations
- Re-cap and review of skills
- Introduction to GROW model
- Contracting process
- Practical activities using GROW
- Stages in the coaching/mentoring process
- Action planning and guidance on assignment
Practical mentoring/coaching assignment: submission deadline 5pm, 12th March
To consider the differences between mentoring and coaching.
To understand the role of the mentor/coach and consider the skills and qualities needed to carry out the role effectively.
To consider the relationship between the mentor and mentee, coach and coachee.
To consider the line manager’s role.
To identify the different styles of mentoring/coaching that may be adopted.
To carry out mentoring/coaching practice and review progress.
If you have any questions about the programme please contact Anna Wynn Roberts, the NUJ Training Wales Project Manager: email@example.com to arrange a time to talk.
We have a cancellation policy of four weeks (10 working days) for this programme because of the costs associated with running it. If you cancel in this period we will be unable to refund any course fees.
If you are a member of the NUJ and have been made redundant in the last six months or are facing redundancy you are entitled to two days of training free of charge. Please contact us with your NUJ membership number and your redundancy notice.