Duration: One day
Tutor: Dan Mason
‘I’m using Twitter and Facebook, I know social media is gaining in importance, but I’m learning as I go and don’t feel I’m making the most of it.’
If this sounds like you, then you are not alone. Most journalists and Comms/PR professionals are using social media on a daily basis. But many feel they could use it more effectively, getting more value for their time. This social media essentials workshop will show you how to get more from social media without spending hours a day doing it.
The one-day workshop will focus on using the most popular platforms to help build your social presence; search for people, topics and by location; unearth story ideas; use social media in a live context, and share your content more effectively. Along the way it will explore the power of Instagram and touch on platforms including LinkedIn, Pinterest and YouTube.
The workshop will move at a steady pace and aims to have you posting, searching and sharing with greater confidence by the end of an enjoyable day.
Who’s it for?
Journalists – including hyperlocal and community journalists, bloggers, PR and communication officers in the public, private and third sectors. This is a workshop aimed at those with a basic level of understanding of social media. You should have an understanding of the main social networks and you must have accounts with at least Twitter and Facebook (see ‘What I need to bring/do’ below).
What will I learn?
By the end of the day, you will have learned how to:
- Develop a powerful social media persona (personal or organisation), with an appropriate image, description and username
- Search for people (including via LinkedIn), by location (Twitter and Instagram) and track breaking news and industry topics, including finding images and videos
- Use Tweetdeck to monitor stories and conversations around hashtags and keywords
- Share and schedule content more effectively, plus learn tips for reach a wider audience when sharing via a Facebook Page, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram
- Use Periscope and other social platforms to cover live events
- Curate Instagram and Twitter posts into stories
- Make an impact on Instagram and other platforms with images and text
What will I need to bring and do before the course?
All participants will need access to a reasonably up-to-date iPhone or Android smartphone, iPad or Android tablet. If you have access to a laptop you are welcome to bring it along, but it won’t be essential for this workshop.
You will be working hands on with Twitter, Facebook and Instagram, so please ensure you have accounts for at least Twitter and Facebook. It will be useful if you could set yourself up with an Instagram account but the minimum would be to install the apps for all three platforms on your smartphone/tablet, and remember to bring passwords. Other platforms/apps can be joined/downloaded on the day, if appropriate.