This two-day course will take you through the complete process of building your own website – from planning, through design and build, to updating content and measuring the number of visitors.
Tutor: Simon Williams
You will use WordPress, the most popular (and free) content management system on the internet, to develop a website that you can expand and update afterwards.
You will learn how to choose and implement a design that best suits your needs, and how to personalize it with your own images or artwork. You’ll add pages, input text and insert images, and add different functions to your site such as integrating it with Twitter and Facebook.
You will leave the course with a working website and the knowledge to expand and refine it later.
Expected Learning Outcomes
- Have your own five or six page website
- Be aware of design best practice, and know how to choose and implement the best design for your needs
- Be able to create new pages, add and edit text, and insert images and video
- Know how to expand the functions on your website, including how to integrate content from social media such as Twitter and Facebook
- Know how to measure the number of visitors your website receives
Although no technical knowledge of building websites or setting up blogs is required before the course, a reasonable level of computer literacy will be needed. If you’re used to using the internet, producing word documents etc, you’ll be fine.
The Writing for the Web course would be excellent preparation, and will help you plan and understand the content and search optimisation needs of your site, as well as providing a basic introduction to using WordPress.